Dangerous Drug Crimes - Meth
Under A.R.S. 13-3401 (xvii) “Dangerous Drug” includes the drug “Methamphetamine” also known as “Meth”.
It includes Meth in any composition, mixture or preparation which includes any quantity of the substance, its salts, or its optical isomers that has potential for abuse as a stimulant on the central nervous system.
Dangerous Drug crimes such as those involving Meth carry more serious penalties than non-dangerous drug crimes. The Arizona pursues convictions egregiously for Meth and other Dangerous Drugs offenses.
Methamphetamine (Meth) Possession Laws, Classifications and Penalties
Laws: Under Arizona Drug Law A.R.S. 13-3407 a person is prohibited from knowingly possessing, using, acquiring, selling, manufacturing, or transporting Methamphetamine.
Classifications: The following classifications apply to Meth charges:
- Possessing or use: Class 4 Felony;
- Obtaining by fraud or misrepresentation: Class 3 Felony;
- Transport for sale, possession with intent to sell, or sale; Class 2 Felony;
- Administer: Class 2 Felony;
- Manufacture: Class 2 Felony;
- Possessing equipment or chemicals to manufacture Meth: Class 2 Felony
Sentencing Factors: Numerous factors will be considered for Sentencing of Meth Convictions including:
- First time or repeat drug offense;
- Purpose for use or sale;
- Quantity of the dangerous drug possessed;
- Whether or not it equaled or exceeded Arizona Statutory “Threshold Amount” (A.R.S. 13-3420) of 9 grams (including liquid suspension);
- Mitigating or Aggravated circumstances;
- Prior criminal record;
- Nature of the charges
Penalties may vary depending on Sentencing Factors
- Possession for Sale, Manufacture, or Transport for Sale; 5 to 10 years in prison (12 years if aggravated circumstances exist; Repeat offenses the sentencing increase to 10 to 20 years in prison for these offenses;
- Possession of equipment or substances for the purpose of manufacturing; 2.5 to 7 years (8.7 years for aggravated circumstances);
- Possession for use that does not exceed the Statutory Threshold Amount 1.5 to 3.0 (3.7 for aggravated circumstances) years prison;
- Court ordered fines, fees, and assessment costs;
- Court ordered substance abuse counseling, or treatment;
- Probation or Parole;
- Loss of specific civil rights including right to bear arm;
- Felon Criminal Record and other penalties ordered by the court.
- *All prison terms will increase if the amount found in possession equals or exceeds the Statutory Threshold amount of 9 grams (including liquid suspension).
Criminal Defense Attorney for Phoenix Meth Crime Arrest
Any Meth or Dangerous Drug Crime is a serious one, and carries more harsh penalties than a non-Dangerous Drug crime. Arizona prosecution pursues convictions egregiously for Meth and other similar offenses. If you face active charges were recently arrested, you should consult an experienced criminal defense firm, Law Office of James Novak, PLLC. James Novak, will personally defend your case. He is a former Maricopa County Prosecutor with a vast amount of trial experience in DUI and criminal defense. For the last decade, he has exclusively defended DUI and criminal charges in Maricopa County. If retained, the will protect your rights; guide you through the criminal justice process; evaluate the evidence; and determine the best defenses that can be used in your case. If your Rights were violated or the evidence against you is weak, it may lead to a suppression of the unjust evidence, or case dismissal. If the case cannot be dismissed, Attorney James Novak will make every effort to mitigate the charges and harsh penalties such as long term prison sentencing. Call today for your Free Consultation!
- Arizona State Legislature – Meth Defined as Dangerous Drug
- Arizona State Legislature – Dangerous Drug Laws involving Meth
- Drug Enforcement Program – Phoenix AZ Division
- United States Drug Enforcement Program – Meth Facts
If you “Like” this article please let us know with “+1”. Feel Free to subscribe and “Share”!
Law Office of James Novak
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282
Maricopa County DUI & Criminal Defense Firm
Serving Tempe, Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, & Scottsdale AZ